If you're thinking about filing for divorce, hiring a qualified divorce lawyer or family divorce attorney should be your first step. While a do-it-yourself divorce is always an option, hiring professional legal representation is highly recommended if you have children, assets, debts, or marital property that must be distributed. In addition, research has shown that people who hire divorce attorneys are more satisfied with the outcome of their case than those who attempt to complete the process on their own.
About Divorce Attorneys
A divorce attorney serves several purposes in the ending of your marriage. He/she understands how the timing of your divorce affects your insurance and taxes, knows how to anticipate future complications in your divorce, and can help resolve any concerns regarding non-disclosure. Your divorce attorney will be your strongest advocate during this difficult time.
At LoveToKnow Divorce, find the information you need to get the legal representation you deserve. In a number of comprehensive divorce articles, you'll learn:
- What tasks a divorce lawyer is expected to perform
- Why an attorney specializing in family law is a necessity if your divorce involves minor children
- How to find divorce lawyers in your area
- How to compare the qualifications of various divorce lawyers
- How to interpret your attorney's fee structure
- What questions you should ask during your initial meeting with your lawyer
Getting the Help You Need
If you're concerned about the cost of your divorce, LoveToKnow Divorce also offers tips on locating federally-funded programs, state programs, self-help legal clinics, and pro bono divorce assistance resources in your area.